Texas Refusing Illegal Activities Retaliation Attorneys
Were you wrongfully fired or otherwise punished by your employer for refusing to perform an illegal activity they requested of you? Did they fire you under a separate set of circumstances, but you suspect it was actually because of your refusal to perform an illegal activity? Did they threaten to terminate your employment in an attempt to coerce you to comply with what they wanted you to do? If you believe any of these circumstances apply to you, you could be eligible for compensation and reinstatement to your former position.
It is illegal for companies to perform illegal acts, and it is illegal for them to ask employees to aid them in performing these illegal acts. It is also illegal for them to retaliate by punishing employees who refuse to help them in these acts. If your refusal to participate in an illegal activity on behalf of your employer led to the loss of your job, reduction in salary or benefits, demotion, verbal abuse or threats, or physical violence, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Leichter Law Firm PC. We are a fixture in the communities of Austin, McAllen, and Houston, but we also serve the entire state of Texas, as well as areas throughout the United States. Our talented and experienced employer retaliation attorneys will help you prove your case and will make sure justice is brought down on your employer. Contact us at (956) 205-0884 or using the live chat feature on our website to schedule your free consultation.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
Labor and employment law is especially complicated because of the power dynamics between employers and employees, and it would be particularly difficult to represent yourself or try to go through this process alone. If you were asked to do something illegal and were fired because of your refusal to follow through on it, you will need evidence to be presented in the proper way in order for it to have the most effect in court and give your case the highest chance of success. It is highly recommended that you retain legal counsel to help with your case so that a professional can handle all of the stressful legal work for you. With a lawyer’s help, you are far more likely to find the results you are looking for.
Why Choose Leichter Law Firm PC?
The attorneys here at Leichter Law Firm PC enjoy nothing more than having the ability to serve the people of the state of Texas. No one deserves to be taken advantage of by their employer, especially when the tasks being asked of them are illegal in nature. In fact, they should be praised for following the law despite the fact that going against your employer’s wishes puts you in a very vulnerable situation.
David Langenfeld, one of our talented attorneys, is a specialist in labor and employment law, a qualification only 1% of lawyers can boast. He was once a criminal law attorney, which means he has extensive experience in the courtroom and can confidently argue your case. Louis Leichter, our founder, holds an AV-Preeminent rating with Martindale Hubbell, the highest possible rating. They and the rest of our hardworking, talented team are ready to help you seek the justice you deserve.
Types of Retaliation Cases We Handle
At Leichter Law Firm PC, we will handle any case related to retaliation due to refusal to perform an illegal activity that comes our way, but there are certain types of cases we see very commonly. The illegal activities requested of employees we see include, but are not limited to:
- Perjury: Giving a false testimony in court in order to protect your employer.
- False reports: Changing numbers on official reports in order to downplay or play up something about your employer, whether it’s quarterly income, carbon emissions, or anything else that would mean lying to investors, individuals, and entities that have a stake in what is reported.
- Misuse of company funds: Unauthorized use or abuse of a company card or other mode of payment.
- Incorrect disposal of hazardous materials (violation of environmental laws): Going against the constraints the law places on your company and disposing of materials in a way that will negatively impact the environment.
- Performing tasks without a license: This covers a wide variety of tasks, from serving alcohol without a liquor license to using natural resources such as water, and so much more. Reach out to our attorneys to find out the full extent of tasks requiring a license that could be applicable to a retaliation case.
There are many more illegal activities your employer could request of you that they deserve to be punished for. These are just some of the common cases we see. No matter what your case is, if we think we can defend it in court, we will do so to the best of our abilities.
Some ways you may be retaliated against for refusing to perform the above-listed activities include:
- Termination: Being entirely removed from the company.
- Demotion: Being moved to a lesser position with lower pay and seniority.
- Losing a Promotion: Being passed over for a promotion you should have earned.
- Pay Reduction: Having your pay reduced.
- Change in Job: Being given less desirable job tasks.
These are just a few of the ways you can be retaliated against by your employer. If you are experiencing any adverse actions and suspect it is due to your refusal to perform an illegal task, reach out to Leichter Law Firm PC immediately.
If you believe your employer retaliated against you for refusing to perform illegal activities on their behalf, you might be eligible to file a court case against them to sue for reinstatement to your former position, salary, benefits, level of seniority, or anything else that was taken away from you. You may also be eligible for compensation due to lost wages, attorney fees, and more. To learn more about your rights and legal options, don’t hesitate to reach out to the retaliation lawyers at Leichter Law Firm PC at (956) 205-0884 or by using the live chat feature on our website.